How do I know which type of acne I have?
Acne can take on different forms depending on its severity and the age, life stage and lifestyle of the afflicted person. It’s important to identify which type of acne you suffer from so that you can treat it accordingly day after day.
Comedonal acne, also known as retentional acne, is the least severe type. It can be identified by the presence of blackheads, whiteheads and dilated pores in the face’s T-zone.
Inflammatory acne is the most widely known type and typically occurs in adults. It causes blackheads, whiteheads and pimples, papules and pustules of varying redness and discomfort, all of which can appear on the face, neckline, shoulders and back.
Cystic acne, or nodular acne, is a more serious type that produces nodules and cysts (small, hard growths) under the skin, which can lead to marks and scars of varying depth.
Hormonal acne is caused by unbalanced hormone levels, which may be due to puberty, menstruation or pregnancy. This type is characterized by pimples.
Acne conglobata, or conglobate acne, is a rarer type that triggers all acne symptoms on the face, chest and back. It tends to cause scars of varying severity.
What are the best products for treating acne?
Acne-prone skin requires daily care using dermocosmetic products specially designed to gently and effectively purify, hydrate and treat it while preventing relapses.
La Roche-Posay’s Effaclar line features the best anti-acne products on the market for addressing all the specific needs of your skin in the morning and evening.
Effaclar Duo(+) Global Action Acne Treatment
This mattifying face gel-cream, which has been tested on sensitive skin, is the best La Roche-Posay care product for treating acne. One to three times a day, apply this oil-free, non-comedogenic formula to immediately combat all imperfections at any stage, including clogged and dilated pores, blackheads, whiteheads and pimples. Enriched with salicylic acid (a natural exfoliant), niacinamide (a derivative of soothing vitamin B3) and Procerad™ (a patented ceramic), this 24-hour hydrating lotion also prevents marks and scars from forming.
Effaclar Ultra Concentrated Serum
This innovative serum acts both on the imperfections of acne-prone skin and on signs of aging, such as fine lines. Infused with three effective acids (salicylic, glycolic and lipohydroxy) that gently exfoliate skin, it visibly diminishes dilated pores and unsightly marks. Used in the evening, it leaves you with soft, smooth and hydrated skin by morning.
Effaclar Micro-Peeling Purifying Gel
Both cleansing and exfoliating, this soap-free gel is a must-have for eliminating excess sebum and unclogging pores without irritating your skin, even if it’s sensitive. Its ultra-refreshing gel formula, enriched with salicylic acid and LHA, can be used on the face and body in the morning and evening to get cleaner, smoother skin.
Effaclar Micro-Exfoliant Anti-Blackhead Astringent Lotion
Refreshing and soothing, this LHA-enriched lotion instantly dislodges dead cells form the skin’s surface, resulting in instantly purified and tightened pores, a smoother skin texture and a more radiant complexion. For morning and evening use, this hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic product is suitable for even the most sensitive skin.
What is the best ingredient for acne?
The most effective ingredients for fighting and treating acne are undoubtedly salicylic acid (BHA) and glycolic acid (AHA). Powerful yet soft on skin, these active ingredients, used in several La Roche-Posay anti-acne products, boost cell renewal to gently and instantly rejuvenate skin.
- Origin: This powerful oil-soluble active belongs to the BHA (beta-hydroxy acid) family. Made from the willow tree, it’s the ideal ally for treating oily and acne-prone skin.
- Properties: With its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties, it acts both on and under the skin’s surface to dislodge dead cells and impurities from clogged pores in addition to soothing inflamed, irritated skin.
- Benefits: It reduces blackheads, whiteheads, dilated pores, pimples, redness and the risk of scarring. What’s more, it slows signs of aging and evens out and refreshes the skin’s complexion.
- Featured product: This purifying and micro-exfoliating gel from La Roche-Posay contains a high concentration of salicylic acid.
- Origin: Made from sugar cane, it belongs to the family AHAs (alpha-hydroxy acids, also known as fruit acids).
- Properties: There is no better exfoliant for dissolving and dislodging the dead cells that accumulate on the skin’s surface and clog pores.
- Benefits: It visibly refines the skin’s texture and reduces the appearance of fine lines, dark spots and even acne scars and marks.
- Featured product: This powerful serum from La Roche-Posay is brimming with glycolic acid and works wonderfully alongside the anti-acne properties of salicylic acid.
How do I get rid of my scars once and for all?
Alas, scars and acne often go hand in hand. The more severe your acne type is, the greater the chances it will leave superficial or deep scars. Unsightly marks and scars can also form if you make the very unwise decision to pop a pimple. Most scars fade gradually in a few weeks, months or even years, depending on their severity. Luckily, there are several ways to prevent them from forming, diminish marks and redness and efficiently camouflage acne scars, be they pigment, atrophic or hypertrophic.
Learn everything you need to know about acne scars — preventing them, treating them and lastingly diminishing them — with La Roche-Posay.