What causes acne?
Acne is an inflammatory condition of the pilosebaceous follicle caused by an excessive secretion of sebum, the skin’s natural lubricant. Better understanding the factors that cause and aggravate acne will help you treat it and improve the health and quality of your skin.
The most common causes of acne are:
- Genetics: when both parents have acne, the risk of developing the skin condition is higher.
- Hormonal changes during puberty, menstrual cycles and pregnancy and when starting or stopping a contraceptive can play an important role in the occurrence or reoccurrence of acne.
- Stress and overwork, which impact hormone levels and the excessive production of sebum, can aggravate acne.
- Poor hygiene and the use of irritating or oil-based skincare products can make acne worse and cause breakouts.
- Excessive sugar consumption leading to high blood sugar levels is known to trigger acne and relapses.
How can I get rid of my acne?
Caring for acne-prone skin requires a skincare routine that is specially adapted to your skin’s needs. No matter how severe your acne is, give yourself the best chance of treating it by following these four simple and effective steps every day.
The first step is to thoroughly cleanse your face day and night using a gentle, soap-free purifying gel that eliminates excess sebum and impurities without irritating or drying your skin. Then, use an astringent lotion to gently exfoliate your skin and unclog and reduce pores upon application. For the third step, choose a product formulated to treat your acne—and not just your pimples—to target every phase in your skin’s acne cycle, from clogged pores to breakouts, clearer skin and the development of scars. The treatment should also hydrate your skin for 24 hours to keep it feeling fresh and control shine. Finally, always end your morning routine by applying an oil-free sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher to your face and any other exposed areas, since products for acne-prone skin contain acids that make skin more sensitive to sunlight.
How can I get rid of acne scars?
You don’t have to live with acne scars. Learn how to reduce, conceal and get rid of them once and for all with our tips and targeted skincare for acne, imperfections and scars.
Dermclass has the answers to your questions
Acne is a complex skin condition! While there are effective ways to treat it and stop it from coming back, it is essential to understand your acne and symptoms, the factors that cause flare ups and the daily skincare routine that will help you get it under control quickly. Find the answers to all your questions.
Which products are the best for acne?
Acne skin is a common condition and the best way to take care of it is to have a skincare routine with acne products to help minimize sebum, reduce clogged pores, and balance skin hydration. We recommend using acne skin care products that are oil-free, non-comedogenic, paraben-free, and 100% hypoallergenic.