What is the difference between a face wash and cleanser?
Face wash is usually formulated to remove daily pollutants and dirt. However, they are not formulated to remove makeup the same way that face cleanser does. A face wash tends to be more hydrating, whereas a skin cleanser tends to remove both pollutants and oils, while penetrating deeper into your pores.
Face cleanser also comes in multiple formulas - gel, foam, oil, cream, or water. This helps you choose a skin cleanser that suits your skin type or target area.
Keep in mind how often you use skin cleanser. Over cleansing can strip your skin of natural oils that protect your face, especially if you have dry skin. The best makeup remover for dry skin is also formulated as a gentle skin cleanser. This way, you do not have to use too much cleanser on your skin.
What is double cleansing?
During sleep, it’s important to let your skin breathe and recover from the day. Double cleansing is the best method to make sure your face is fully clean from daily pollutants and makeup. The double cleansing method involves two face cleansing steps:
- The first step of the double cleansing method involves using an oil based skin cleanser, or a neutral cleansing water to break down sebum and makeup. Cleansing water comes in different formulas depending on skin type, so you can find the best micellar water for you. Use the cleansing water on a cotton pad as a face and eye makeup remover.
- After your makeup is removed, the second step in the face cleansing routine is to go in with your regular cleanser.
However, if you have dry skin, you should double cleanse sparingly to prevent your skin getting irritated or drying out.
Which La Roche-Posay cleanser is good?
We recommend using a cleanser adapt to your skin type:
- Normal skin: PHYSIOLOGICAL CLEANSING MICELLAR FOAMING WATER
- Dry skin : TOLERIANE DERMO-CLEANSER
- Sensitive skin: TOLERIANE PURIFYING FOAMING CREAM
- Oily skin: EFFACLAR FOAMING CREAM
- Combinaison skin: EFFACLAR PURIFYING FOAMING GEL
Using the wrong cleanser can compromise the integrity of the skin and affect the natural skin barrier. Therefore, it's important to choose the right products for your skin to avoid unwanted side effects. Learn more on how to choose the right product for your skin.