Oily skin caused by excess sebum may be prone to problems like blemishes, enlarged pores and congested skin, particularly around the forehead, nose and chin. Your skin may have a shiny appearance and visible pores. Discover expert advice from La Roche-Posay on caring for oily and acne-prone skin.
Acne is one of the most common skin care problem seen by doctors and dermatologists. This skin condition often develops during our teen years and for many, the condition can last well into their adult life. Several factors can lead to the appearance of face and chest acne, the most common being hormonal changes or disturbances, also known as hormonal acne. In other cases, acne can leave very painful lesions and scars; this is known as cystic acne. Although effective cystic acne treatments do require the use of prescription medicine such as antibiotics, a good skin care routine can significantly improve the skin’s appearance and prevent the appearance of acne scars. La Roche-Posay’s Effaclar products are specifically formulated to gently cleanse oily and greasy skin to reduce the intensity of acne flare-ups. Discover also our creams for dry hands and our lip care products.
How to get rid of acne?
The most effective way to get rid of acne is a good self-care routine.
- Start with a cleanser, such as the Effaclar gel from La Roche-Posay, that will gently clean out all impurities in the skin. The Effaclar astringent lotion will help to exfoliate and rebalance the skin. You may also use spot treatments for targeted cystic acne treatment.
- Using non-comedogenic products that will not clog pores
- Having a well-balanced and healthy diet, staying away from processed or sugary foods
- Hormonal acne is caused by hormonal imbalances and stress, so being mindful of stress management is helpful to prevent acne breakouts.
How to get rid of acne scars?
Acne not only affects the skin’s appearance during a breakout, but often times leaves a scar even after. The best preventative measure to take is to avoid popping pimples. Otherwise, cystic acne will likely cause scars on the skin. Treat these scars with ingredients like vitamin E or aloe vera. Exfoliating and moisturizing the skin is also helpful to renew it and to keep collagen levels high. Serious acne scar removal can also be done with laser treatments. La Roche-Posay’s Effaclar [Duo+] Unifying Tinted acne scar treatment will also reduce the appearance of red/brown marks on the skin early on.
What leads to acne?
"Face and chest acne is caused when impurities, dead skin cells, and sebum clog pores in your skin. An overproduction of oil from sebaceous glands in your skin can cause breakouts of black heads, whiteheads, and cystic acne. Causes include:
- Genetics and hormone imbalances producing extra sebum
- Diet - eating sugary or processed foods encourage breakouts
- Stress & depression
- Environmental causes (weather and/or pollution)
- Improperly cleansing the face - either by not washing out pores enough or using harsh products all too frequently
It is important to monitor how your skin reacts to different environments and treatments to prevent further breakouts.